Thursday, July 23, 2015

Longing for the place I'm not sure exists

This is the story of my life. I'm sure many introverts and fantasy nuts like myself have had this similar feeling. When I was a kid, I could find myself stuck in my own imagination, feeling like I was supposed to be a part of something bigger. I felt as though Gandalf would appear at any moment to give me a quest that only I could fulfill or that Falcor would fly in and wisk me away to Fantastica where only I could help the Child-like empress with a new name. It never happened, of course, but even at thirty-two, I still feel like something is supposed to happen.

I also suffer from depression, and I think the two feelings are linked. I have my fair share of real life goals, many that I have accomplished, but as soon as I achieve them I get stir crazy.

It's finally come to the point where I am realizing that this feeling will never go away and it's not because of something that I haven't done yet. It's just engrained in me like some sort of spiritual brand. I have this striking feeling that no matter what I do or accomplish, I will feel as if I was meant for something else. I will always be restless. That's why I have decided to work a lot more on mindfulness lately. My brain is always in five-thousand other places and I need to just relax, take a deep breath and be.

I also think this is why I love witchcraft and ritual so much. When I am practicing, that feeling of being homesick sort of disappears, or at least, quiets down a lot. It feels as though I am tapping into something or someplace where I was meant to be. When I cast a circle, it feels as though I have erected a hobbit hole around myself and the mundane world just falls away. Whether this is all in my head or not doesn't matter. I feel it in my heart. It's real to me.

I've been seeing things out of the corner of my eye a lot lately. The skeptic in me wants to brush it off, but the thing is this hasn't happened in a long time. I'm just going to go with it and let it happen. If it's mundane, it's mundane, but I am going to note the frequency in which it happens. It feels like it might be important so I don't want to ignore it completely.

We shall see. We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment